Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling

I was walking through the local grocery store today and something caught my attention. It was the enticing scent of apple cinnamon and spice. We've had such a strange "winter" that it really could still be autumn. Its strange how a scent can trigger so many memories flooding back to you! Today I'm sharing a cake I made this past autumn.  I was inspired by Sweetopolita's Autumn Delight Cake.  You see, I'm a bit of a lazy baker. I loved the look of this recipe but decided to make it a little easier on myself.  Instead of preparing the cakes like she describes I used a spice cake mix, canned pumpkin, pumpkin spice and chopped pecans. I prepared the cakes and filled them with toasted marshmallow filling.  The cake was then iced with brown sugar and cinnamon swiss buttercream.  I topped it with candied pecans.

Click HERE for the full cake how to from Sweetopolita.

Toasted Marshmallow Cake Filling
(From Sweetopolita)

Ingredients:
12-16 standard size marshmallows
1 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk (I used whole)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7.5 ounce jar of Marshmallow Fluff
Pinch of Salt

Directions:
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and arrange marshmallows on top. Place on the lowest rack in the oven. Broil until nice and brown.  Keep a close watch on them, they will burn quickly. Remove cookie sheet and carefully turn the marshmallows. Brown the other side. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. In your stand mixer, using a paddle attachment, whip butter. You want it really pale and fluffy, this will take around 8-10 minutes.
3. Add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat for another 6 minutes.
4. Add cooled marshmallows and marshmallow cream. Beat on low for another 2 minutes.
5. Use filling right away, it will be sticky but spreads nicely as filling and keeps well in the cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails