Monday, December 5, 2011

Reindeer and Figs

This weekend, I accomplished a big personal goal and I want to share it with you. I ran in my very first 5k race! For the last 9 weeks, my friend Heather and I trained doing the Cool Running Couch to 5k Program. It all started back in 2008. I set a goal to lose weight and run a 5k.  If you've ever tried to lose weight before, you know what a struggle that can be. I didn't have a running partner, or the will power to keep up with either goal. But each year, I kept saying I'd do it. Finally, this year, 2011, a full 3 years later, my friend was willing to commit to the program with me.  Turns out a dedicated partner is what I needed! We met consistently 3 times a week to run. At first, it was a challenge. Our runs were slow. The first minute or two of running, I thought I was going to die. I watched the clock constantly, just waiting for it to be over. But as the days and weeks went on, I slowly became stronger, found running easier and easier. I was looking less at the clock, and more focused on my breathing. 
We chose to do the Reindeer Run because the timing was perfect, we both love the holiday season, and costumes were encouraged! Not to mention the proceeds benefited Toys for Tots Heather, my boyfriend David, and myself ran the 5k. We set a goal of finishing in 40 minutes. We finished in 38 exactly. It was amazing.  I've wanted this goal for so long. The fact that it was real, that we did it, that we crossed that finish line still amazes me. Its an incredible feeling to set your mind to a difficult goal and actually make it happen. Its not just about losing weight or getting in shape.  Its about feeling empowered. If I can make this happen, who knows what else I might be able to accomplish!  Here are a few pictures from Saturday's event....
 Costumes were encouraged, so here I am with Rick. Rick is Heather's boyfriend who offered to photograph everything for us.
Here we are with the Reindeer mascot!
Rick was easily able to spot us due to my hat!
We are almost to the finish line!
FINISHED!! We ROCKED this race! 

Now you're probably wondering, whats with the figs in the title? In addition to sharing my awesome accomplishment, I'm going to share my new favorite recipe. You may recall my recent post about the Wonderfall Wine Tasting one of the courses was a Fig and Gorgonzola Pizza.  It is absolutely to die for! You must make this now! The pairing of flavors is incredible. Sweet, savory, all mixed into one. Its unique and flavorful. Its also, very easy!
Fig, Gorgonzola Prosciutto Pizza
(very slightly adapted from Centsational Girl)

Ingredients:
1 Boboli Thin Crust Pizza (I used a 12 inch)
Olive Oil
4 ripe Figs
1 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz. container crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
2 slices prosciutto
Diced green onion (I didn't really measure this, just chopped a handful)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Drizzle olive oil over crust. Bake for 9 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice figs, dice onion, tear prosciutto into pieces.
When crust is ready, layer about half the mozzarella cheese, then half the Gorgonzola, then the figs, prosciutto, and onion. Top with remaining cheeses.  Bake until golden brown, and cheese is bubbly, approximately 10 minutes.
Prepare to be amazed.
We paired this with a pinot noir and it was excellent.

Thanks for reading my story and I hope you enjoy the pizza!

3 comments:

  1. Love figs and gorgonzola so definitely goign to try it next time I make pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrtulations Jess that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful your blog many congratulations for your work I leave an embrace of friendship you

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails