Thursday, October 14, 2010

Addicted to Apple Butter

I am addicted...to Apple Butter. I wanted a cute, homemade favor for my recent Autumn Harvest Party. I can always count on Martha Stewart to inspire me. I made her apple butter recipe and now I cant stop eating it. Try it yourself, its actually quite easy.


Apple Butter (Adapted from Martha Stewart)

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Butter (I always use unsalted)
3 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and cut into quarters
3 cups apple cider
1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
1. In a large pot, melt butter and add apples. Cook under apples are slightly softened. Add cider. Bring to boil. Then reduce to simmer. Cover partially and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 250. Mash apples with a potato masher.
3. Zest about 1 teaspoon from your lemon, set aside.
4. Remove apples from heat, squeeze in juice from half of your lemon. Add in the zest and cinnamon.
5. If you are lucky enough to have an immersion blender, get to blending! Otherwise, grab another bowl. Working in batches transfer apple mixture to blender. Blend, and to second bowl, until all of mixture is smooth.
6. Pour mixture to a baking dish. Transfer to oven.
7. Bake, stirring occasionally, for about 3.5 hours. Mixture should be reduced, thickened, and spreadable.
8. Transfer to jars, and refrigerate.
Yield: 1.5 cups

I personally love apple butter on some wheat bread with smoked turkey. Yum!
Also, another tip, when I made this recipe, I doubled it. If I'm going to go to all this trouble, I want an abundance of apple butter! It made me 7, 4 oz. jars. I noticed that the first day, it was pretty lemon-y. However after about 2 days, the flavors melded together nicely and its amazing!
Seriously could eat it by the spoonful. Try to resist, people will think you're weird. But if no one is home...by all means, dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails